Thursday 22 December 2011

Work-related Allergies

I saw a patient many years ago with allergy of his hands and discovered his allergy was due to the chemical he was using to soak his bean sprouts in. Asking him to use gloves stopped his allergy. That one was simple enough.

Another interesting case was a farmer who had a cough for months and had seen many doctors including a respiratory doctor but he did not get any better.
I asked him to bring to my clinic all the pesticides and fungicides that he used on his vegetables and watermelon and lo and behold, he was found to be allergic to a number of these. I advised him to avoid going to the farm and so his son went instead and eventually, his cough disappeared.I advised him to wear a particular mask if he ever wants to go the farm.

I have kept the pesticide and fungicide solutions but interestingly, except for a few patients, most were not allergic to them.

Lesson: BEWARE OF PESTICIDES AND FUNGICIDES

and my learning continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment